Thailand's Thailand History
- Thailand history commences in the pre history period and then during the last 2000 years is the history of different empires and different ethnic kingdoms. These flourished over different portions and at
different times over the land which now comprises the modern Thailand nation.
- These groups and periods included The Srivijaya Kingdom in South Thailand the Dvaravati Kingdom of the Mon people in Central Thailand The Haripunchai Kingdom in North Thailand The Khmer Cambodian Empire over most of Thailand and the Tai Kingdoms the Lan na Kingdom the Sukhothai Kingdom the Ayutthaya Kingdom the Taksin Kingdom and the Chakri Kingdom.
- As not all events took place in all of Thailand we have also divided Thailand history into North Central Northeast and South Thailand history and therein dealt with events relevant to that part of Thailand.
Thai War Elephants
The borders of these ethnic groups moved continually, expanding and then contracting in line with political or military influence, constantly changing alliances and shifting boundaries.
Over time the Empire movements expanded then to diminish like ripples in a pond when one drops stones at different times and in different locations.
How The Modern Kingdom Of Thailand Was Formed.
- Over the past 2,000 years of recorded history of Thailand each ethnic tribe spoke a separate language
and had separate cultures. All the Empires were Buddhist with the
exception of the Khmers who accepted Buddhism but additionally
subjugated their inhabitants to subscribe to Hindu concepts of the
divine rights of their kings [ who regarded themselves as Gods ] and
Hindu mythology. These differences are explained in detail in the links opposite.
- The periods of the political Empires or Kingdoms does not necessarily correspond to the artistic and cultural periods of influence of these tribes, for example the Khmers were culturally significant in Thailand during the pre-Angkorian Empire period [ 7 – 10 C ] and this cultural influence continues to today.
- Various Tai tribes invaded the region and formed Kingdoms in Nan, Phayao, Lan Na and Lan Xang [ which was the historical basis for modern Laos ]. Further South in Lower North Tai formed the Kingdom of Sukhothai.The Mon tribes formed the Kingdoms of Lop Buri, Dvaravati and Haripunchai and the Kingdoms of Chenla and the Angkor Empire were those of the Khmer [ now called Cambodians ].
- In South Thailand, the Srivajaya Empire was ruled by Indonesians from Sumatra and Java. In the opposite links you can find a national perspective to Thailand history and also a regional one in that some tribes and kingdoms only inhabited but a small part of what is now Thailand.
Search Here For Kingdoms, Wars and Historical Events.
- So today the tourist to Thailand can see something about each of the periods from the last 2000 years.
- We have divided the Thailand history link accordingly into the following National history periods, Thailand Prehistory, Indianisation in Thailand, The Davarvati Kingdoml & Haripunchai Kingdom Mon Empires, the Khmer Empire in Thailand, and the Tai Sukhothai Kingdom, Ayutthaya Kingdom Taksin Kindom Chakri Kingdom.
- Additionally there were the regional historical periods, which were directly relevant only to their regions. In the North this included the northern Tai Nan Kingdom, Phayao Kingdom Lan Na Kingdom and the period of Burmese occupation of 218 years.
- In North Eastern Thailand it includes the Khmer Chenla Kingdom and the Tai Lao Kingdom of Xan Lang.
- In South Thailand it includes the Kingdom of Srivijaya and in Central Thailand the Kingdoms of U Thong and Lop Buri.
Map Of Thailand
Ancient Tai Sword